An old friend of Dave's from high school shared my blog with a few of her friends whom I don't know personally.
I was deeply moved.
One of them wrote her and cc'ed us, that God has placed Tikva on her heart and she will be praying for us.
And she wrote: "We serve a big God and He is good all the time."
I love the idea of God being big... it reminds me of that quote from the Orthodox preschool that said:
"Don't tell God how big your problems are. Rather, tell your problems how big your God is."
It makes me think of God's giant palm where I can rest.
It makes me feel small, but not powerless.
It just reminds me that I don't have to be in charge of everything, in control of much of anything.
It's humbling and comforting at the same time.
Reminds me that I am not alone.
I think this whole experience is making me comfortable to go to deeper spiritual places than I have ever felt comfortable going to.
You could say I'm finding my religion, except I'm not a big fan of the word religion because of all its negative connotations.
But then again, I had a hard time with the word "God" for many years too, and that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.
I used to use words like Godness, The Universe... and I still use words like The Source and Essential Energy.
I don't like to get wrapped up in semantics, because it really is all the same thing - this idea that we are all connected to something bigger than us, and to each other.
Sometimes I think about my Grandma Ala who survived the Holocaust, and all those people who survived for one reason or another - faith, a fighting spirit, chance, circumstances beyond their control, the help of others, who knows what.
I wonder if I would've survived or perished - sometimes I've even wondered if I was someone who went through that and didn't survive, and now I'm back, surviving.
I am not a fan these days of being told how strong I am, or how much I am a survivor - and yet it's something I am able to connect to.
I look at the scars from my shingles on my chest and back and left arm, and I marvel that I got through that amount of excruciating pain without medication, and while pregnant, and while living in Jerusalem.
I think I would have been like my grandmother - strong, resilient, resourceful, a survivor.
Dahlia's middle name is Aloisia, after my Grandma Ala.
Tikva's middle name will be Ahrona, after Dave's Poppa Aron, who was also a survivor.
If we have anything in both of our families, it is a strong fighting spirit.
I know our children have it too.
(We decided that Tikva’s middle name will actually be Ahava – which means Love.)
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gal--
What an inspirational person you are, to me and to everyone around you. You are for sure not alone, as you are not only under Gd's watchful eye and in Gd's hand, but you are in the thoughts, hearts and prayers of many of us here in Jerusalem and elsewhere. Your children are so lucky to have you as their mother, and they will pass your strength and dignity to their own children and grandchildren.
Thinking of you all and wishing you all the best.
"Your soul has been through a great storm,
but all is not lost,
a kind light is coming soon,
to bring you hope & life.
You can rest now and wait...".
~ Jen Lemen
Looks like the light
of hope is already with you
my dear friend
Your spicy and enlightened perception is one of the most important things that is driving you,creating you reality, keeping you up and up. And then there's faith, and you've got it girl, hard. Hold on tight and ride this home dear sister...
I love how Great Spirit is touching you, thank you for being so generous with us on your journey
I loved this posting, you and I are so connected in our belief of "God" which is why I sent you the good luck charm for babies from the shrine here in Japan. I agree, God is HUGE and he is all around us and you can find him everywhere- and as they say in SHINTO, God is even in the rocks! God even floats above organized religion, but don't tell Dave I said that - hehehehehe.
Gal, I definitely won't call you strong, because I have bigger biceps than you! hahahahaha! My word for you is your a Floater. You have an amazing way to float above everything and not let it touch you negatively. I love that about you! That and you are sooooooooooooooo damn cool! And a would say you are pretty hard-core, definitely a good fighter, those scars will make you look tough! No one will bother you- hehehehehe.....
Post a Comment