Thursday, February 22, 2007

Big Sister

WHERE I AM: I've been pregnant for 2.5 weeks (4/40)

WHAT I FEEL: I'm eating non-stop. I feel like I always have food in front of me. Last night in bed I was talking to Dave about all the food I ate in college, which contributed to the extra 60 pounds I gained and carried back then. I was talking with the most amazing delight about coffeecake, cinnamon buns, mochas with whipped cream, the salad bar in the dorms, all you can eat at the Souplantation, unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks at the Olive Garden, and the biggest burritos you ever saw. Oh, and frozen yogurt with toppings. Yup, I like my food. I don't eat like that anymore, and my body doesn't let me get away with that much sugar and wheat and caffeine without protesting in all kinds of ways (except I don't gain weight easily anymore)... But I am enjoying the more healthy delights I treat myself to in a day. 4 eggs every morning, unlimited avocados, yogurt, almond butter on apples. I should stop writing about food or I'm going to eat more even though I'm not hungry.

This morning when I asked Dahlia if she wanted to wear her rain boots to school or just her regular red boots with the butterflies on them (I wish I had boots like that!) she said to me, "We're going to have to get little tiny boots and a raincoat for... for... for when the other baby comes." Keep in mind we haven't told her yet that I'm pregnant, but she knows our family is going to grow. And she's very sure its fourth member is going to be a boy. And she wants to name him Bubblegum. And he's going to be "this tiny" (she demonstrates with her thumb and forefinger about 2 mm apart) and will need a much smaller raincoat and rain boots. I guess she's right.

This morning I touched my belly and said to baby that s/he is going to love her/his big sister, because she's a very cool kid and a very sweet person. And she's in a big nurturing place right now - it's all about wrapping Snow White and Monchichi in blankets and strolling around the house with them and nursing them to health when they're sick. When I was sick with the stomach flu a few weeks ago, she even gave me her extra blanky to snuggle with. It was actually really nice to have a blanky.

I get tired right around late afternoon, ready for a nap. A happy tired. Happy to be pregnant.

No comments: