Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Tired and Queasy

WHERE I AM: 9 weeks pregnant

HOW I FEEL: Tired and queasy. Dahlia slept in until 8:15 today and I could've kept sleeping. I went to sleep with that queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach and I'm still queasy. It's not as strong as it was during my first pregnancy, and not as constant. But it's there, just started irregularly last week while we were in Mexico. And in Mexico, you never know if queasy means you caught a bug... On one of our flights home, I got really nauseous when the plane encountered some turbulence, and Dahlia asked me, "Mommy, are you feeling sick because the baby is jumping around in your belly?"

I went to Kaiser in Walnut Creek yesterday to have my first prenatal appointment with a clerk who asked me a bunch of questions and gave me a bunch of forms to fill out. I also had my blood and urine taken for the standard prenatal tests. My next appointment in a few weeks will be with a nurse midwife, which I'm sure will still be very different than when I worked with two homebirth midwives in my last pregnancy. But hopefully she won't think I'm weird for not wanting an ultrasound at 12 weeks. I'm not sure I want an ultrasound at all... I saw a movie when I took a midwifery class a few summers ago about how fetal cells change shape permanently when exposed to ultrasound.

Baby is the size of a grape now, and I feel an increase in hormones in my body, causing the queasiness, tiredness, and sensitivity that makes me cry little tears very easily. The hormones also affect my digestion, in the same way that things usually are affected when I'm ovulating. It's all just a trip.

No comments: