Sunday, November 25, 2007

Shingles... Ouch!

Apparently it is quite rare to get shingles during pregnancy.
Well, apparently it's not that rare, because guess who has shingles.
I just figured out last night what was going on in my body.
There's definitely some relief in understanding, even if it does suck.
For about 4-5 days, I've had an unexplainable pain around my left shoulder blade, extending to my elbow and a little up my neck.
Then a few nights ago I felt a weird clump of what seemed like pimples on my upper back, right next to my left shoulder.
And a little while later, the rash had spread to my upper left back and my upper left chest, red and pussy.
This all coincided with my morning sickness stopping around 11 weeks (thank God) and my itchiness stopping as well (double thank God).
So at first I thought the cramp and rash had something to do with my liver, or who knows what.
I've also been really worn down and cold, chilled to the bone despite that it isn't that freezing outside yet.
Yesterday afternoon we went to the park and I lay down on the bench, closed my eyes, and just breathed in oxygen, and drifted off into half sleep.
When we got home, I got into a boiling hot bath for about 10 minutes, because I was chilled to the bone.
When I got out of the bath and looked at the rash, it hit me that I might have shingles.
I did a bunch of reading online and emailed with a few friends who've had it, and it is definitely what's going on.
It bugged me a lot last night and I woke up a bunch, and this morning it hurts more than it has.
The rash is prickly burny and the nerve pain is more sharp and constant.
Yuk.
I'm going to see the doctor later today and Dahlia is going to come with me.
They may tell me she needs a chickenpox vaccine, which I will get her if needed so she doesn't get chickenpox.
Even though I'd hoped she would get them naturally, I just don't think I can add a sick kid to my life right now.
That just might push me over the edge.
Plus, one of the main reasons I'd wanted her to get it naturally was to prevent her from getting shingles as an adult...
But guess who had chickenpox as a kid and now has shingles... me!
Just goes to show you that you can't really be sure of anything.
It really is all just a crap shoot.
Thankfully, I'm not nauseous or itchy alone with this pain.
And I am trusting - though I do get scared sometimes - that my little baby is okay.
We shared the news about Baby with Dahlia yesterday and she was very excited.
Now she thinks it's a boy.
Last night she peed in her bed, so she came into ours in the wee hours of the morning.
Before she dozed off back to sleep, she asked me, "Mommy, can you sleep even though there's a baby inside your belly?"
I told her that Baby needs me to get a lot of rest in order to grow.
Then she asked if Baby was sleeping too, and I said either that or swimming around.
It was very sweet.
Man, I am going to be one great nurse when I finally get there!
I just keep adding experiences to my repertoire, and I have to think it is only going to make me better at the work when the time comes.
Now I have to remember: My body is strong, my baby is well, and I will feel better soon.
This year in Israel, though, will definitely not go on record as being my favorite year of all time.
But then again, after everything I've been through here, whatever comes after will hopefully feel a little easier.
Or at least I'll be even stronger to get through it.

No comments: