Friday, November 21, 2008

So Many...

I was just looking at the website I wrote about yesterday where the names of babies who have died are written in the sand.
It struck me just how many children's names are there,
How many babies have died.
And there are always more,
Every day.
There are so many blogs like mine,
With stories of beautiful little ones gone too soon like Tikva.
So many.

How come I didn't know this happened before it happened to me?
Surely I must've known,
Because I always said my greatest hope was for healthy children.
But I never knew to wish, to hope for living children.
It never occurred to me that babies can die.
Here, in the first world.
It never occurred to me that my baby could die...
That my friend's baby could die.
Now both have happened.

I live in a different world now,
One where babies can die.

I scrolled down the website and read the names of all those babies,
Written in the sand.
I thought, These are all little people gone too soon.
They all have families longing for them, missing them,
Forever changed by them.


So many babies...

4 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

You're right Gal. I look at the site quite a bit. Not just the babies, but the huge family networks they leave behind. That means there are a lot of us out there but why don't we know about it until we land in it? I too wished for a healthy child. Being alive was a certain thing, or so I thought. It is all so confusing and confronting when you get plunged in to it without warning. Love to you and Tikva.

ezra'smommy said...

You are so right Gal, too many, way too many babies. When I think back to when I was blissfully ignorant and pregnant, I realized that I just blocked them out, those babies that didn't make it. Managed to "forget" for those 8 months that I knew women who were babylost mamas, women who were colleagues, part of my community. I suspended reality for those 8 months, never imagining this would happen to me. Never for a moment, right up until the very minute the doctor said Ezra had passed away. What a luxury to live in such a state of denial, no longer a possibility now that we know better. Know all too well. Wishing sweet Tikva were in your arms, and Ezra in mine.

janis said...

I feel the same Gal.
I'm looking in a babies' name book and recognize many gone too soon. It brings tears to my eyes.

Tash said...

I went to a service at Children's two months after maddy died (they hold it twice a year, can you imagine?) for children who had recently died, and the slide show was long . . . long . . long . . . and so many babies. I remember just being overwhelmed by the number of babies.

I think I knew out of the corner of my eye -- two authors of two favorite blogs lost children on the screen in front of my eyes -- but didn't want to know much more. These were the two women I went back to first when I did come back. I couldn't believe it either.