Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Two Mes

It's my second day at work and I am sitting stuffing envelopes next to a colleague who is about 6 months pregnant.
It's her first pregnancy, and one of the reasons I was hired was to fill in for her when she goes on maternity leave.
It's not hard for me to be around pregnant women.
Maybe because I have already been pregnant myself - three times.
(Though one was cut short.)
(Though I only have one living child.)
Maybe because I know that I want to get pregnant again.
Maybe because I have never had trouble getting pregnant.

Maybe because I know that no pregnant woman is out of the woods for sure,
So how can I assume that they are lucky when I can't predict their story?
And honestly, I know I'm lucky: I got to be Tikva's mother.


I ask her when she'll be going on maternity leave
(Knowing the answer because my boss told me when she hired me)
And she tells me that she's not sure yet
Because she has a low-lying placenta
That may or may not become placenta previa.
If it is, she'll be on bedrest starting in January.
Otherwise, she'll go on maternity leave in March.
She asks me how old my daughter is and I tell her, Almost five.
It goes by really fast, I say, after the first really intense six months.

She only knows that I have one child.
I don't tell her anything else.
I don't say anything about Tikva.
I don't want to add to what is probably enough worry.
I don't want to be the one to make her realize it's never guaranteed.
She smiles sweetly, seems unaware even of any danger she might be in.
I don't really know if she is in any danger,
But surely there is some risk if she might be on bedrest for her last trimester.
Even if I said something,
I don't think she'd realize it anyway,
Without having gone through it.
I don't want to say anything,
So it doesn't matter.

It's strange not mentioning Tikva,
But I understand that mentioning her is more complicated than saying,
I had another child, but she died.
It's strange like she never existed.
For them, she never existed.
My boss and three other people in this large organization are the only ones who know,
And they won't say anything to others or even to each other.

But there is something else:
I don't really want to share my Baby Girl with them.
I like the idea of keeping these two worlds separate,
Just going to work and doing my job and then returning to my own world.
I don't want people looking at me in the hallway with looks of pity,
Of seeming to know when they likely don't know.
I want Tikva to remain mine,
(Held by you who read this)
But not a part of my work life.

I know that each person there probably holds a story of their own,
A story of sadness, loss, grief, sorrow, darkness, complexity.
Still, it's such a strange thing to bring up,
Your baby who died.
Different than a parent who died when you were young,
Or an illness someone you love is suffering from.

I'm going to be at this job for seven months.
Tikva will be a part of me for the rest of my life
And beyond.
So today, I smiled and said nothing.
Maybe another day I'll say something.
Who knows what fears and worries might have been going through her mind as we spoke.
I understand, I would have told her.

9 comments:

CLC said...

I understand why you didn't say anything. And for her sake, I am glad you didn't. I hate feeling like I am hiding something, but at the same time I feel like my daughter is only to be shared with certain people. People who matter to me, not that others don't matter, but just people that will be in my life for a long time.

Carly Marie said...

I could relate so much to your story here Gal.

I like to keep Christian to myself too sometimes. Although his life has been shared with so many now through this internet world. I keep his photo's to close friends and family. I don't even have them on my computer.

I feel the same when it comes to seeing pregnant mamas. I don't feel jealousy, just worry, worry for them.

Keep your Tikva close to your heart. I don't even have to say that, I know she is there.

Gal said...

Thank you both...

Hope's Mama said...

I don't know, I feel like I want to share Hope with everyone I come in contact with, pregnant or not. And yes me and Hope would probably scare the blissfully pregnant to death, but maybe, just maybe if I could spark a bit of fear in them, I could prevent the heartache I went through. As what happened to me, could most definitely happen to anyone. I don't want to welcome any more women to this club, I just don't. And I'd like to think by sharing Hope and sharing our story, we could prevent a few more of these totally senseles and totally preventable deaths from happening.
I get why you are keeping Tikva close you, I really do xo

ezra'smommy said...

I still have such a difficult time being around pregnant women, its really hard. And I do want to share Ezra with anyone and everyone. But visibly pregnant women are an exception...it just feels like inflicting more pain on them than necessary. I know I would NOT have been able to handle the story of a dead baby when I was 6 or 8 months pregnant.
I so get what you mean about the two 'mes'. I don't really have that option - since all my coworkers lived every moment of my pregnancy with me. They all took Ezra dying really hard, so we talk about him pretty frequently. But if I were in a new job, I think I'd feel the same way.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing gal. i was wondering how work was going for you.

i can imagine it might be kind of nice to not have everyone know your story, to have some anonymity. like you said...not having everyone talk about you. to keep tikva for yourself, to share with those you select.

for me and my story (which is obviously very different form yours) i actually feel like i wish someone would have told me a story like my own when i was pregnant, although i would have been completely freaked out. i also would have known that it is possible for a baby to die at full term in utero. i didn't know that. and perhaps i would have taken my concerns about lev's movement more seriously and gotten checked out and perhaps i could have saved him. perahaps.

Cara said...

I think this comes with time and based on your circumstance. There are times I shout her name because the world must know, but there are other times the smile in my heart as I picture her sweet face is enough for me, and I spare them.

Selfish - yes - but my process, not theirs.

janis said...

There was a time I felt the need to shout it out to the whole world. But now, like you, I don't share my lost child easily. I feel he is worth more than an awkward silence or a fumbling response. I don't want knowledge about his brief existence to be met with: "Oh I'm sorry" or with pity, or horror, because his short life was SO MUCH MORE than that.
xoxo

c. said...

I still fight with that desire to tell everyone about him, although I am more apt not to mention him nowadays. And I struggle with this, because he is such a big part of me, just as my two living children are.