My Dear Sweet Precious Dahlia,Today you are five years old.
I can't believe it... five years old.
At this time five years ago, I had been in labor with you for more than 24 hours.
Miyoko was coming over to put needles in my back in the hope of alleviating the pain.
A few hours later, I would decide to go to the hospital for an epidural.
At 7:36 PM, attended by our midwives while the doctor stood back and watched,
You came out easily, powerfully,
The fist that had been next to your left cheek in the birth canal was the second thing to come out after your head.
I'm here! You said to us.
You are here!
We welcomed you joyously,
Our first child.

It's hard to believe that five years have gone by.
But at the same time, I feel like you have earned your age.
From the beginning, you have stepped completely into your life,
Unapologetically, entirely yourself, strong and radiant.
When you were little I called you Bright Light,
And that you continue to be.
You light up a room, you make people smile.
In your own words, you make people really happy.
This past year, your fifth year, you have stepped up in unimaginable ways.
Life and your family have called on you to be flexible, open, forgiving, easygoing,
And so, so loving, so unconditionally loving.
You have responded with a resounding, Yes!
You have said, Okay, I will.
And you have.
You have loved your fragile little sister
And you continue to love her with your most special brand of sweetness.
You feel her in your heart, see her in the little birds outside your window,
You miss her sometimes, and you share your feelings with us.
Thank you for your maturity, your understanding, your patience.
Thank you for all you teach me about love, about what is important.
I knew from the very beginning of your life that you had come to be my greatest teacher
And you are.
You are amazing, Dahlia Aloisia.
You are beautiful, radiant, gracious,
A Bright Light like no other.
I love you, my Little Lady,
My Big Girl...
Happy Birthday
15 comments:
What a beauty she is...happy birthday, Miss Dahlia! Miss and love you guys.
Happy Birthday, kiddo!
What a radiant being she sounds to be. Monkey was just short of five when A died. She seemed to me so grown just then, and so graceful in her grief since. But now, nearly two years later, it takes my breath thinking of how tiny she really was, and of how unfair it is that she had to learn these things that young. And yet, the grace... the grace is stunning.
Happy Birthday Sweet Dahlia. Her energy radiates through your words.
happy birthday Dahlia!
In Russia it is customary to wish a Happy Birthday not only to the child, but also to the parents and grandparents. So after 30 years in this country my parents still call us on the kids' birthdays and "congratulate" us "with a kid's birthday", as do my Russian born cousins here in the US and in Israel. (It actually sounds a lot less 'funny' in Russian.)
Silly...right? My husband does not get it. I like it. I think as parents, especially Moms, we deserve a little attention on the kid's special day; after all it is the anniversary of a hugely special day in our own lives.
So, Gal, to you and Dave I send my "congratulations on Dahlia's birthday"! And of course Happy Birthday and all the best to the little bright light Dahlia!
With love from the icy hills of Pennsylvania, Nonna
Happy birthday, sweet Dahlia.
You sound so much like my Caelan. I wish I could see you too together. I think you'd get on like a house on fire. :)
Love to you all
what a beautiful girl. big kisses for her today from australia xo
Happy Birthday sweet girl!!
What a loving letter to your little (big) girl.
Six and four are only weeks away in this household and I'm stumped.
Time is a tricky thing.
Happy Birthday Sweet Girl.
How loved you are, how blessed you are.
May you always hold love in your heart.
Many Wishes from Carly, Sam, Scarlett and River x
happy birth day to you both. you look so beautiful holding newborn dahlia. much love to you sweet mama
Happy Birthday Dahlia!!!
The photo of the three of you brought tears to my eyes -- beautiful!
Stunning post, gal. Beautiful girl. Happy Birthday, sweet Dahlia.
Beautiful post, Gal.
Happy birthday, Dahlia!
What a beautiful precious message to Dahlia. Love it.
Post a Comment