Let me tell you about her face... like a movie star.
Let me tell you that when I was a child, to me she was the most beautiful woman in the world.
Let me tell you how she loved her son, my father.
Let me tell you about the times they spent at Roushdi beach in Alexandria.

Let me tell you about the company she kept.
Let me tell you about her lovely mother, Clementine,
Such a lady.
Let me tell you about her son's mother-in-law, Aloisia,
My other grandmother -
The way they so deeply respected and cherished each other -
And Aloisia's friend Estelle,
Together to celebrate my parents' wedding.
Let me tell you that this is one of my favorite photos in the world.

Let me tell you about the foods she would prepare
With the North African spices.
Let me tell you how she would come from Italy to see us
And stay for months at a time.
Let me tell you how she came to care for us for a long time after my parents split up,
How she showed up so completely for her son and for her granddaughters.

Let me tell you how much she loved her grandchildren,
Sharon and me and my uncle's son Marco.



Let me tell you how close I always felt to her
Even though she lived far away.
Let me tell you about the long phone conversations we would have
And her unabashed conviction of always telling people whatever was on her mind,
No concern with offending yet so refined at the same time.


Let me tell you how when I graduated from college
I could not imagine doing so without her there.
Let me tell you how she had also come when I began my senior year
And took me to the supermarket and bought me food and containers
And spent a week cooking and preparing meals I could keep in my freezer.
Let me tell you how she told me then,
Don't ever skimp on food. If you need money for food, let me know.

Let me tell you about her older sister, Lina
Who is almost 92 and has outlived her husband, her son and now her sister.
Let me tell you how Lina is like a third grandmother to me.

Let me tell you how today I sat with my father and we called Lina to tell her her sister had passed
This morning at 5am, one day after her 87th birthday.
Let me tell you that Rosy lived a full life.
Let me tell you how years ago with her second husband, she had sat at a dinner with Golda Meyer.
Let me tell you about her closets filled with dresses and shoes and handmade silk undergarments from Egypt of the forties and fifties.
Let me tell you how I had some light blue embroidery from one of her nightgowns stitched into the sash of my wedding dress.
Let me tell you about the solid gold earrings that she had unearthed from an archeological site in Egypt decades ago
Which were on display in her living room.
Let me tell you how many languages she spoke... French, Italian, Arabic, Greek, English.
Let me tell you how I always spoke to her in French.
Let me tell you how everyone in her neighborhood called her La Signora Favia.
Let me tell you how she lived for over 50 years at the outermost tip of the heel of the boot that is Italy.
Let me tell you how she made jam out of rose petals and cooked zucchini flowers
And rarely threw anything out in the kitchen because everything was edible if you just knew how to prepare it.
Let me tell you how she smoked cigarettes like they were going out of style,
At least a pack a day for at least 50 years,
And how eventually I stopped bugging her to give them up.
Let me tell you how she had a stroke while I was on my honeymoon
And lost the need to smoke.
Let me tell you how that stroke changed her
And how I missed the depth of our phone conversations after that.
Let me tell you that it has always made me sad to live so far away from her,
From almost all of my family.
Let me tell you how I last saw Rosy in 2001
When I went to spend Passover in Paris with her and Lina and Lina's son Eric who died a few years later.
Let me tell you that, even though times had changed all of us, I felt at home there,
In this apartment where I had spent so many Shabbat afternoons as a child.
Let me share with you how deeply I will miss her presence in this life.
Let me tell you how much I have loved and will love her always.
Let me tell you that I am sure she knew how much I cherished her in my life.
Let me tell you that today I bought two dozen bright yellow roses with pink-orange tips
To remember my Rosy with warmth in my heart and a smile on my lips.
I love you, Rosy...
Rest peacefully.
15 comments:
What an amazing post about an astounding woman. Gal, I am so sorry to hear of Rosy's passing, but just so pleased to have learnt this much about her life today. A rich life lived to the full indeed. The photos do the post a wonderful justice. I can just imagine the proud and family-orientated sort of woman she was. What brilliant memories you have of her - thank you so much for sharing them with us. She's cradling your Tikva in her arms now, until you all meet again.
Lots of love to you Gal.
Gal what a beautiful woman Rosey was. How wonderful that you have so many precious memories of her.
Thinking of you and Rosey. She was obviously very special and very loved.
xx
Gal, what a beautiful post...I'm so sorry to hear about Rosey's passing. Your rich, deep words really give me a sense of what a blessing she was as not only a grandmother, but also as a friend and human. I'll be thinking of you and your family as you mourn her, and celebrate her amazing life. Abrazos y besos, Angie
Gal, I remember you telling about your nonna in Jerusalem. May she rest in peace and may her memory be a blessing to all your family. We are not in Italy at present, but please let us know if we can do anything for you.
What a lovely tribute. Rosy sounds like an amazing woman. I'm sorry to hear she has passed and for the loss you feel now.
Gal, I gulped this up like a thirsty thing. What a fabulous woman. Thank you so much for sharing her with us, and I'm thinking of you.
xo
Such a beautiful post Gal, thank you for sharing about your Grandmother. My heart goes out to you.
Thank you for sharing incredible stories and pictures about an incredible life well done. I shall hold all of you close to my heart today especially, as I do always. We have always shared the joy of amazing elder woman G, I love you!
May her memory be for a blessing. What a beautiful life, made so real to all of us by your beautiful words.
What a beautiful tribute, Gal - your words and these amazing photos, they are stunning. I am sorry for your loss, and so glad that you have so many good memories. Sending you love.
I am so sorry to hear about Rosy's passing. I so enjoyed knowing her. She was such a kind generous woman. I will always remember when Larisa and I were travelling and went to visit her in Brindisi. She made us a delicious lunch and then made us rest before we took the ferry to Greece. She could read us better than we were able to read ourselves and knew what we needed. We both ate and rested and felt so at home with her. It was as if you were with us even though you weren’t. She was truly a remarkable woman who knew how to connect people deeply so immediately. Thank you for the gift of knowing her. Love, Rachel
To have someone speak so comprehensively about her gorgeous life and spirit means so very much. I am quite sure a couple generations now people will be saying similar things about you!
So sorry for your losss as you bask in her love.
Merci Gal pour ce beau texte. J'ai été émue de découvrir des photos d'elle de toi... et de la Nonna jeune. Je me souviens bien. J'ai bcp aimé la rue des Longs- Près moi aussi, je m'y sentais accueillie mieux que chez mes parents. C'est l'endroit où Eric et moi nous sommes aimés, en 69, 70.Et j'appréciais bien le franc-parler de Rosy, ça faisait du bien ! Bonne vie à toi et ta famille, be happy.
Lise
Dear Gal, my so sweet Gal,
Dear Ivo and Sharon,
I didn't sleep the night between saturday until sunday, and I wondered why until
I read Gal's blog this morning... Oh dear all, I love you so much, I loved I
love Rose so much. My sisters and I, we have so many memories with her, in the
Lina's kitchen, with her energy and smile, smoking and laughing, during Passover
holidays or Shabbat, helping Lina to be strong and energic... Oh ... I will write you all a
long e-mail very soon when my ideas will be more clear.
LOVE and KISSES
Angela
Oh Gal,
This was amazing. What a beautiful woman.
Holding you an d Rosey in my heart tonight x
Post a Comment