Saturday, November 22, 2008

Integrating

I had this thought yesterday as I walked in Golden Gate Park to Ocean Beach.
I'm not sure if I can get it down clearly, because it's not entirely clear to me yet,
But I'll try.

I was thinking about Dahlia, about being her mother for almost five years.
I was thinking about her first five months of life when we were living, also, in San Francisco,
On the other side of Golden Gate Park, but also close to the park and the beach.
I was thinking how much life has changed me since then,
Two pregnancies later, still a mother to one child.
Thinking how different I was then, when I actually was able to be
Just a regular mama with a brand new baby in a sling or a stroller.
Unquestioning, busy simply learning the task of parenting a living healthy child.

How do you parent a child who has died?

And I asked myself if perhaps some of my frustration and challenge with Dahlia right now
Has to do with the contrast she reminds me of:
Me before loss and me after.
I wondered if perhaps I am having a hard time integrating my big healthy living daughter
Into my present reality as the mother of a baby who was very sick and died much too soon.
How do they go together?

I wonder if Dahlia, too, is trying to understand where she fits in this new form of family we are now.
After all, she too is forever changed.


Sweet Dahlia, sweet fragile resilient unsure fierce girl.
Insightful, keen, scared, angry, vulnerable and volatile,
Bright, funny, witty, facetious, perceptive, confused.
So many of her own emotions to release,
Such abundance of emotions,
BIG emotions.

It was a gorgeous day in the park
And it smelled good.
I had just made a clay pot chicken for Mary Kay
(Such joy to make food for others...)
And felt ready to move my legs and breathe the eucalyptus freshness.
I asked Tikva if maybe she was around to show me something,
Or maybe if the Universe had something for me to see, to feel.

And this: A rabbit.
I have never seen a rabbit in Golden Gate Park before, and neither has Dave.
Not a wild hare kind of rabbit that you sometimes see at the side of the road in Marin,
But a round chubby fluffy brownish rabbit with cute sort of rounded ears
Bouncing across my path and stopping just near me to eat some flowers
For a long time before hopping away into the trees,
White tush and tail against his brown body.

I could feel two spirits in the rabbit...
Tikva's spirit with the spirit of her future sibling,
Playing together, playing with me.

The rabbit stayed for a long time,
Not minding my presence at all.

And this: A tiny green caterpillar
Hanging from an invisible silk thread from the branch of a tree.
I just watched him for a while,
It looked like he had fallen from the branch and was trying to climb back up
So I took hold of the thread and put him down on a bush off the path.

Rabbit and caterpillar...
Prolific fertility and miraculous transformation.
I'll take that.

It's weird also to integrate thoughts of another child with thoughts of the child I've lost.
I don't feel guilty about thinking of another child.
I really, actually, feel like Tikva is very much in support of another one joining us
Before too much time passes.
I don't think I've been through all I've been through,
Don't think Tikva lived such a huge and short life
So that I could spend the rest of my life mourning her loss and being miserable.
I know she knows the abundance of love that oozes from our hearts in this family,
Ready to fill a brand new heart with love.
I feel like she very much has something to do with the seed that has been planted in my soul
That makes me open to the idea of inviting another child into my arms.

Still, it's strange
To be grieving Tikva's loss
At the same time as
Imagining our next child's existence.
There are no instructions about how to navigate that integration.

I'm not terrified about getting pregnant again.
I'm not scared - at least right now I can say that - that things could go terribly wrong.
Even though we are in complete agreement about the prenatal testing we will definitely do,
Dave also feels confident that it will go smoothly and that we will bring home a healthy living child with ease.

Still, it's a lot to integrate...
Past experience with confidence,
Sorrow with trust,
Confusion with optimism.

Right now this is the best way I know to be:
In a place of surrender and trust in something much bigger than me.
Something I can only barely understand, something I don't need to fully understand.
Something I can surrender to as much as I need to, as much as I can.
Surrender to the understanding that I'm not in charge,
That I was never in charge,
(Even if I thought I could be)
And that our family's unfolding will continue to write itself
Exactly as it is mean to unfold,
No matter how I choose to participate -
With hope or with fear.

With some trepidation, right now I'm choosing hope.

9 comments:

TeenaGreena said...

Gal,

That was beautiful as are you. I miss you, but I feel closer to you in reading your blog. Every time I see a red tail hawk, I think of you and Tikva.

Hope's Mama said...

Gal that was beautiful. Your love for your children, both here, in the spirit world and still to come is abundant.
I have seen signs of beauty on this journey. Just other day, taking a ferry ride, I went to the side of the boat and peered over the edge. Swimming alongside us was a seal. Jumping up and down, in and out of the water. A seal! So magical. The later in the day, sitting on the beach, watching the waves smash around, at my feet, a ladybug. A seal and a ladbug for me. A rabbit and a caterpillar for you. Keep clinging on to hope Gal, it is all we can do.

ezra'smommy said...

Gal, I got chills reading this post. Not just because you said so much with which I identify (as you always do), but because I TOO saw a rabbit yesterday...in the most unlikely place. 8pm in the freezing cold outside the hospital entrance under a bush. He seemed a long way from home. And both David and I thought Ezra must have sent him (we attribute most unusual remarkable things to our little man these days), checking in on his Granddad, making sure we knew it would be ok. Maybe both Tikva and Ezra felt like playing with bunnies yesterday.

Gal said...

I found this on a website about animal totems. It feels relevant right now...

Rabbits are guides into the shadow world, where all of our personal fears lie. When the rabbit appears it is time to examine those deep reflexive fears that hold you back from growing. Do you keep dashing for the safety of your old patterns every time something new or challenging presents itself? If so the rabbit asks you to face your fears with compassion for yourself. Accept that it is part of human nature to feel fear at times, but also believe that our fears need not paralyze our growth and movement.

Carly Marie said...

Dear Gal,

I found my way here through Sally's blog .. . . . and then I realized that I had written your sweet daughters name in the sand.

It was so lovely to put a beautiful angelic face to her name. I read your story about Tikva's last breaths in the fresh air.

I was filled with so much love and peacefulness when I read it. Your writing is beautiful. I felt as though I was there witnessing such a special moment.

I wish you much peace and love on this road you are walking.

I hope you don't mind if I add you to my reader :)

Much Love Carly x

Cara said...

Gal - this question seems to be a recurrent theme for us dbm's this week.

You tackle it so well with a delicate mix of earth and the beyond. I am going to click over to the animal totem site.

I have a friend who had a rare owl live in her woods for the whole nine months she was pregnant. The day she found out till the day she delivered. Then, it was gone.

(sigh) - Our journey never ends.

Charlotte's Mama said...

it is so incredibly hard to choose hope.
i once did it too, yes.
and am trying again.

CLC said...

Beautiful post Gal. Thinking of you and Tikva.

c. said...

I think this is a wonderful thing for you to do, Gal, to choose hope above all else. I want to believe our babies wouldn't want this for us, that they wouldn't want us to live the rest of our days in mourning and sadness. Sometimes, I think the only road to not feeling this way lies in the hope of bringing another baby into this world, that a living, healthy baby is the only way I can restore any semblance of happiness to my life again. I sit here with a lump in my throat, filled with overwhelming fear that I will never get this chance again. Today, I've chosen fear...but I know I don't have to. Maybe tomorrow holds more promise for me. Maybe tomorrow.

Beautiful post. Keeping you and Tikva close to my heart. XO.