Saturday, February 14, 2009

Holding Knowledge

This week I had a big experience that I only shared with one babylost mama as it was happening.
Since, I've been ruminating about the choice I made, and letting it settle inside me,
Realizing that it felt right, felt "good" under the circumstances.
It has made me think a lot about so many things.

I think I've written before that there is a woman at my work who is pregnant.
She is 36 weeks and her baby has been breech for a long time.
If the baby doesn't turn in the next few days, she is scheduled for an external version.

Enter me, and my initial response, which I kept to myself:
A version? Yikes! I have a friend whose baby may have died as the result of a version!
Do I say something?
Is it my responsibility to say something?
What do I say??

The first thing I did was close my eyes and check in with my intuition.
My intuition told me not to say anything about that.
It felt peaceful, my intuition, not conflicted.
So I spent some time thinking about it, talking about it, sorting through it
So that my brain could catch up with my gut and I could proceed accordingly.

I spoke with my colleague and got a sense of how she is feeling.
I could feel peace and trust mixed with fear - general fear about everything she has been facing:
A first child, the possibility of placenta previa earlier on, a breech baby, a fibroid she learned about recently.
Honestly, what my gut told me most profoundly was: She has enough fear to hold already. It's not up to me to add more.

I spoke with Sarah about whether I should, could, would say anything.
I spoke with my acupuncturist about things she could do to encourage her baby to turn on its own.
I spoke with my dear friend Sue, who was our midwife with Dahlia, who will always be my midwife.
Sue is wise, intuitive, experienced in births that have gone all different ways, incredibly grounded.
She asked me the question that brought the most clarity, and has inspired this post:

Can we allow others to make their own decisions without their knowing everything there is to know?

I think that's really it at its core.
I hold so much knowledge now that I am the mother of a child who has died,
Now that I am part of this community.
I know about birth anomalies I never knew existed,
About how frequently different anomalies happen.
I know about the hundreds of ways you can test for anomalies
And all that you can't know about in advance.
I know that babies sometimes die before they are born,
The reasons they do, and the babies who just die unexplainably.
I know how birth can shift in a split second and a perfectly healthy baby can end up in the ICN
Or not make it home at all.
I know about secondary infertility and miscarriage.
I know that there is danger at every turn,
That an external version can be dangerous,
And that a C-section can be dangerous too.
I know that babies can get stuck on the way out
And labor can stall or worse yet, a baby can die.
I know too much, and sometimes I wish I could erase all that knowledge,
Especially all the knowledge that doesn't come from my specific personal experience with Tikva.

But it doesn't work that way.
I have to learn how to hold all that gracefully,
Because I don't want to be sloppy with this huge responsibility.

There is such a need among us to make meaning out of a difficult experience.
If I don't share my experience with Tikva and encourage all parents to have an ultrasound at 20 weeks,
Does Tikva's short life have less purpose?
Is her life more meaningful if more people are more cautious after learning about her?
Or is that my ego getting in the way again?
Isn't her life meaningful just because she was, no matter how long she was for?
Will spreading the gospel of ultrasounds help my own healing?
Right now, my intuition replies, No.
Will it bring my daughter back?
Certainly not.

When I asked her what she thought of them, Sue told me,
They still do external versions because the risks are still less than an elective C-section.
That was a good reminder, that there is no easy solution to ensure that everything will for sure be perfect if you just...

I thought about how it is all a huge risk, every step of the way.
I thought about how you can't exist in that place of fear all the time,
How there is still great joy in the process of birthing in spite of the risks.
I thought that if it were any other way, if we always held only fear, none of us would ever carry the huge desire we have to create life,
To try everything possible to have healthy children we can grow old with.

And that is where the question came up in my conversation with Sue
About allowing people to move forward with their own choices,
Without knowing everything.
Would we have been able to listen if someone had warned us about all that could have gone wrong? Really?
And more importantly: Would it have helped?
Isn't being pregnant a big enough leap of faith as it is?

At the end of the day, after all these conversations, I talked about it with my husband.
Dave is amazing at letting me talk through something and just being present, saying very little himself,
Helping me to sort through my thoughts until my own clear answer comes.
And this is what my clear intuitive voice said:
I don't want to spread fear. I want only to help her. Otherwise, I should say nothing. Otherwise, it becomes about me, and not about her.

So the next day, I spoke to my new friend at work.
I told her I had spoken to my acupuncturist and also to my midwife.
She smiled warmly, seemed moved by the fact that I had done this on her behalf.
I told her all the things they had both recommended about helping a baby turn
And how the more you can do to prepare for a version,
The greater likelihood that it will go smoothly and be successful.
Instead of spreading fear, I gave her a little bit of comfort and peace,
And encouraged her trust in her body and her baby and the process of pregnancy and birth.
That felt right, and I didn't feel like I left out anything she needed to know.

Sarah asked me how I would feel if I didn't say anything and something went wrong during the version.
I'm not sure I can answer that question, and I pray I don't have to.
But this came up: How would I feel if I encouraged a C-section instead and something went wrong with the C-section?
How would I feel if I spread fear, and that fear kept her from relaxing during the version,
If it contributed to her baby going into distress?

And this: Is it up to me to speak from the experience of someone else?
Is that the same as sharing my own experience?
When do I share my own experience and when do I keep quiet about it?

I don't have answers to all these questions right now,
But I have thought all week about how important it is for me to hold what I know with delicacy and wisdom.
In the same way doctors and nurses must need to hold all they know gently.
In the same way economists are being so careful right now about how they speak about the economy
So as not to contribute to a collective panic that will bring on a major depression.

My friend and teacher, Mary, reminded us in our Intuitive Development class years ago,
Energy is real stuff.
It is powerful stuff indeed, and we are all energetic beings
Learning in each experience how to interact with each other's energies.
I guess for me it just comes down to one thing:
Fear is an energy.
I don't want to be on the side of fear,
And I don't want to be the one to spread it or encourage it.

That just doesn't feel right in me when I check in with that calm, clear voice in my heart.

I don't want to stop believing in the miraculous process of pregnancy and birth.
If there is a way to create meaning from Tikva's life,
It is to remain on the side of Hope and Love
And spread those energies around me.

13 comments:

ezra'smommy said...

Gal, I've said this to you before, but it never ceases to amaze me, how much hope and healing you bring to all those you touch. Your colleague is so blessed to have such an insightful mindful person in her corner. xoxo

Hope's Mama said...

"it is for me to hold what I know with delicacy and wisdom". This is so true Gal. There is such a fine line between helping people and scaring people. I feel that as the years progress, I will always be walking this line. I have a deep urge to help people, as I don't ever want to hear about something like what happened to Hope happen to anyone else who crosses my path. But I know in doing so, I will instill fear in them. I guess my main message is to trust your instinct, go with your gut, follow your heart and don't always trust others as they don't always know best. Mostly for me it will also be to tell people to put the baby number 1. I don't think I was doing this at the finish line, as I was just so sure she was a sure thing and I was more concerned about me and this big and uncertain job I had ahead.
I too hate all this new wisdom I have, most of which has nothing to do with my direct situation.
This piece was amazing, as are you, Gal.

CLC said...

Wow, what a thoughtful post. I have thought of similar things as I have a couple of close friends who are pregnant right now. I have found myself biting my tongue, because I feel like it's their right to experience that blissful ignorance. Of course, I haven't dealt with a situation as serious as yours. But I think you did the right thing. My sister had 2 versions which were successful. I opted for the c-section myself, but it was irrelevant anyway given the outcome. I wish now that I hadn't. You are so thoughtful and insightful. I hope your new friend appeciates you as much as I do! I am betting she does.

Carly Marie said...

I think what Sally said about that she will always be walking this line.... we all will but when I am in that situation again I will remember your heart on this.

After 3 very different births, a prosteria lying baby with vacuum delivery, a breech baby born sound asleep and an elective c section, I wish I had of known you a little earlier in my life Gal. I rest upon your words... every time.

Your work friend is a blessed woman to know you in real life.

With Love,

Carly x

Tash said...

This is such a sticky wicket, complicated by people's visions of birth, further muddled by whatever facts they've chosen to justify their own fears, no matter how small. there's also the tricky notion of probability: strip an event of its odds, and you're left with: either it will happen, or it won't. And it doesn't matter how crunchy, giving birth in the koi pond, or observed every 36 hours under the care of the best perinatalogist.

I think you approached this just right, in the sense that you didn't ask her to fear, but what might keep her from fear. I can't imagine myself being that graceful.

Anonymous said...

We walk this line now and I often find myself biting my tongue, not saying anyhing as I want people to enjoy their pregnancies as they should. But then I remember in the weeks after Sam died I was angry that someone, anyone, hadn't prepared me. I don't think there is any preparation or knowledge that would have made it any easier.

You are a very thoughtful and graceful person and handled better than I.

Gannet Girl said...

I left a post on Desert Year today with you and the others in mind.

TeenaGreena said...

You are so wise Gal. In my life coach training one of the things I learned is to approach every relationship (especially a coaching relationship) holding the other person as brilliant. They don't need me to fix them or tell them what to do, they are brilliant enough to figure it out for themselves. I provide coaching to bring solutions or knowledge to the surface, but I won't give unsolicited advice, and I'll minimize solicited advice. Through that training, I have truly come to believe that everyone is brilliant and can steer their own life. If I feel particularly strong about something, I hold an intention for them and keep checking with that intention. Your post just reminded me of some of those tough situations that come up in my life, where I have to remind myself of everyone's brilliance. You and Dave are truly brilliant -- I never have to remind myself of that.

Sara said...

You talk of not wanting to spread fear, to instead "remain on the side of Hope and Love And spread those energies around me." You do this so well. Since I started reading you, I have felt a a calmness and a grace in your writing about Tikva and your experience.

Cara said...

Our DBM status definately makes us "overeducated" in the what-if department. But, Gal - your ability to tap into your intuitive nature is a gift and so is the time and energy you put into your words before saying them to this woman.

you are a true blessing to so many - expecially your daughter Tikva!

erica said...

I think you handled this just right, and I'm grateful to you for sharing the experience. It is so very difficult sometimes, to hope and fear for others and share the hope but not the fear.

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

I prized you with "Honest Scrap."

aliza said...

i guess i was away when you wrote this, so thanks for letting us know about it again. very difficult and important questions. personally i think it's important to have all the facts and make a decision from that place. yet of course there is fear in knowing all the risks out there and in getting pregnant alone there are so many risks but of course we all do it and want it knowing all of that too.

yet i guess b/c it was my baby and my body in that version i still feel angry that i did not have all the facts. that no one told me things could happen after that kind of procedure- even if that is very rare, i would have wanted to know and then made my decision. and i don't know if it would have been a different decision or just a more informed decision. b/c a c section is not free of risks either as you said. the fear thing is big. and like you said gal, we know so much, too much of what could go so terribly wrong.
i assume that your friend's version did not kill her baby and that she will be ok b/c most are and that's important to remember too- that most babies are healthy. i held onto that throughout my pregnancy, all those times i was afraid. i knew that not all babies were healthy but i also knew most were and hopefully i'd be in that most category. of course i wasn't and am not. would more fear have changed things? no. but maybe more knowledge and more of checking out my fears rather than trying to get rid of them. oh it's so complicated and i could write forever.
xo
a