I am not crying all the tears I have to cry lately.I feel them there, most of the time.
Sometimes they come out a little, just a little,
Then they go back inside
Because they sense it is not the right time,
Not time when I can give them the attention they need
To really flow.
I know they're there, I feel them,
But for some reason they're not flowing
Even though they need to...
I need them to.
I don't feel good when I don't cry tears that need to be cried.
I feel edgy, clogged, anxious, frazzled, frustrated.
I feel like I just want to be alone, quiet, eyes closed, curled up,
Breathing deeply,
Waiting for the tears to come.
Sometimes it helps me to sit quietly, alone, and write.
Sometimes that helps the tears to flow
And if I keep writing, they keep flowing
Until they're all out
For now.
I crave time alone lately,
Probably because I have 20 hours less of that time than I did before I started working.
20 hours is a lot of time lost.
I think about Tikva probably 50 times a day.
Sometimes they're tiny fleeting thoughts that just pass through,
Barely noticed, without attachment.
I see her name on my necklace in the reflection of the mirror,
See her face on the cover of the photo album I made,
In the little shrine I made for Day of the Dead.
Sometimes I let my mind drift to a moment in time with her,
Or the possible moments in time ahead that could have been.
Today I even went to the past and imagined a moment that never was,
And what it would've been like if it had been.
It was a strange thought: I imagined what it would have been like to give birth to Tikva at home without having had an ultrasound.
I imagined her coming out looking perfect,
Our excitement at finally seeing her,
Her letting out a tiny attempt at a cry,
Then trying to breathe and struggling,
Struggling and eventually failing,
The rest of us noticing slowly that she was not alright.
The panic, the sinking feeling in my heart.
I imagined this to a point, then stopped myself and remembered,
This is not what happened.
We were so ready for her,
So able to help her with everything she needed.
Her birth was amazing, smooth under the circumstances,
Only good surprises, beyond our expectations.
A friend asked me today what I was thinking about for a subsequent pregnancy.
Lots of monitoring, all the possible tests, lots of ultrasounds, no surprises.
Comfort in knowing.
She asked if, once I knew what I could know, I would have a homebirth.
No. Too much has been imprinted in my psyche.
I just know too much about how things can go.
I used to feel safe with the idea of having my babies at home.
Now I feel safer in a hospital. A big hospital with a good L&D and ICN.
I imagine some of my friends might find it sad that I've come 180 degrees and ended up here,
Trusting hospital care more than the homebirth care I have trusted deeply since my mother studied homebirth in the early eighties.
But it doesn't make me sad at all.
Rather, the idea of being carefully monitored during pregnancy
And birthing my next child in a hospital that is ready for anything
Brings me great comfort, a sense of safety -
And I have always believed that a woman should have her baby wherever she feels most safe.
For me, that used to be home.
Now, it's not.
At least for now, I feel this way.
Actually, I have a feeling my next birth will be smooth and easy and quick,
Irrelevant where I deliver, really.
I planned three homebirths.
I had my first child - my Dahlia - in the hospital after 38 hours of back labor, with the help of an epidural,
Delivered by my homebirth midwives while the OB-GYN stood back and watched.
4 hours later, we were back home in bed with our new baby girl.
I lost my second pregnancy at 10 weeks in the ER.
Not because it was anything dramatic - I could have miscarried at home -
But I felt more held in the ER, more supported and validated in the experience that something important was happening.
I delivered my third child - my Tikva - in the OR at UCSF
And I got to see her beautiful perfect body for just a minute before she was taken away to be stabilized.
The next time I saw her was an hour later in her little corner of the ICN
In the wee hours of the morning.
I planned three homebirths.
Maybe some of the tears I'm crying now are for that loss.
I joke about it sometimes, saying, "Well, so much for that homebirth I wanted to have."
And really, who cares in what way or where a baby is born, as long as it's born healthy and lives a long life with you?
Still, it's sad to have lost that ideal,
That idealism that nothing could possibly go wrong with my baby.
There's another loss, too, something bigger:
The loss of so much of what I believed in.
It gave me grounding, calm.
I'm not sure what I believe in now.
I'm in between beliefs,
Forming new ones.
More liminality.
I looked at Dahlia tonight and in her sleep she made a face so much like so many pictures I have of sleeping Tikva.
Beautiful thick lips apart just a little,
Nose pointing out a little, down a little,
Eyes peaceful yet revealing something profound going on under eyelids,
Dark lashes in between them.
I know people might think that I'm missing the forest for the trees,
Neglecting to see the incredible child who is there before me
Because I'm busy thinking about the child who isn't.
But that's not it at all
For I don't see a separation between Dahlia and Tikva.
There is no dark thick heavy line separating where Dahlia ends and Tikva begins,
Or where Tikva ends and Dahlia begins.
They are my daughters.
I carried both of them inside me.
They shared the same genes.
They came from the same love.
They are, both of them, each of them, always in my heart,
A part of me.
Energy is fluid, ever changing.
Out of the blue, Dahlia will say,
Mommy, I didn't want Tikva to die so soon.
In that moment where the feeling of Tikva comes through her,
Particles of each of their energies have melted together,
Dissolved into each other,
Bounced against each other,
Danced together.
They are two and they are one.
We are four and we are one.
I'm not missing the forest for the trees,
I am just noticing that they are all the same trees
Over and over again,
As far as my eye can see.
I don't know if I can even explain,
But I feel it most when I touch Dahlia's skin
And in that moment I can feel Tikva.
Sometimes I touch Dave's skin and I can feel me.
Maybe that's love... when energy melds like that?
Dave reminds me to focus on the love,
Our love
Which has made all of this unfolding
Possible.
Out of which we have given life to our mighty children's spirits.
Tonight he helps me cry,
Listens,
Hears,
Smiles,
Trusts,
Loves.
That is definitely love... when energy melds like that.
11 comments:
Gal there are so many experiences that you and I share. The homebirthing desire was one of them. I didn't know my options when I had Caelan, and I considered it very strongly for Jordan only I couldn't do it ( I was too afraid after a traumatic experience with Caelan's birth) and I tried for a vbac instead. None of that worked out for me.
Sometimes I wonder how it would have been had I birthed Jordan at home. I know she'd have died fairly quickly afterwards or even during the labour. Sometimes I wonder if that would have been kinder somehow...to her and to us, but that's crazy talk. It would have been hard no matter what.
This post is particularly lovely. Thinking of you all.
X
I'm full of love after reading this dear Gal.
I will be honest in saying that I never wanted a home birth. I was frightened of giving birth as it was. I wanted to know that if the worst was to happen there were people there to take care of whatever situation unfolded.
Scarlett's birth was just terrible, if I was at home she would have died.
It would not have mattered with Christian, he died before I went into labor. River was an elective c-section, as my OB thought that was best as my body wasn't wide enough to push a baby out with out any real problems. Little Christian was breech. Even though he was small, his birth was painful and hard, probably harder than Scarlett's.
I am frightened for woman who have their babies at home. I guess I have a jaded view from all the stories I have read from mothers who request their babies name. In some cases it would not have mattered if they were at home or if they were in a hospital, but in so many others babies could have survived if they were able to be delivered by an emergency C-section in a hospital.
I believe that women should give birth where ever they feel is most right for them. For some its a elective c-section, others just naturally in a hospital and of course at home. All that matter is that these babies come out alive.
I have felt in the days leading up to Christian's birthday that I needed to cry, really cry but for some reason I couldn't. It all came out on the morning of his birthday. I felt so much better.
For me music brings the tears. If I feel I really need a cry... on goes the music.
As for LOVE, well I could go on forever about that. We are all connected.... by love.
Sorry for writing a book here Gal. I hope my words do not upset anyone.
Sending you LOVE :)
Carly x
There are so many little losses that we grieve in addition to the big loss of our children- the ripples. I have never wished for a home birth because I feel more comfortable in hospitals, but I always wanted the vaginal birth. And I don't think I will ever have one. It makes me sad, but I try not to dwell on it since I can't change what's done. I assume I won't care how if I am holding a living breathing baby in my arms one day.
This is a particularly beautiful post, Gal.
I too had so many plans for Ezra's birth...plans that of course went out the window the moment we learned he had died. Now I have let go of the idea of plans...although I have less faith in doctors and medicine after Ezra, I still will feel more safe in a hospital - and like you, after lots of tests and monitoring throughout a subsequent pregnancy.
I love the idea of love melding our energy together...I feel it too when David holds me in his arms, or I hold him.
One more thing...I'm not crying all my tears either anymore..at least not when they come. They are always beneath the surface, some days much more than others...but usually don't flow unless I'm writing on my blog, or reading someone else's blog or email. I guess our grief morphs and changes as time passes...
baby emerging beautiful and alive. my plans did not include a c section to deliver my baby already dead.
i don't know where i stand anymore either, what i believe, where i feel safe, if i'll ever really feel safe until i have a live healthy baby in my arms.
your post was so beautiful. i can feel the deep love and oneness you dave dahlia and tikva are.
This is so beautiful, Gal. Thank you for sharing it. I seem to have more tears lately, and writing helps me to cry them out, too.
I was so certain everything would be fine that now, sometimes, it's hard to trust what I feel.
I think you are right that in losing a child we lose other things too--ideals, security, hopes, dreams, identity. It's important to grieve all our losses.
I found meditation a powerful way to tap into emotions, often ones I didn't even know were stuck. I hope the tears you need come.
Your post hit home for me. Silas was born in our home- it was a shoulder dystocia birth which in most cases is fatal. Who knows what would have happened had I have been in the hospital. I have stopped the what ifs. I do know that I did it the way I wanted, I had him exactly how I pictured it. It was beautiful. Obviously it didn't end the way we thought it would. We have to believe that this was how it was going to be, as sad as it was.
The next one will be a c section in the hospital. I am still going to go to my same midwives, they will set me up with a surgeon and they will be there. At least that is how we think it will go for now. We know now there are no guarantees.
I felt safe with my midwives at home. I don't blame them. I don't blame anyone or anything.
All I know is that I want to hold a living breathing healthy baby one day.
Wow, Gal..
It is amazing to read how you articulate the love current melds us all – so beautiful and true! I search into my children and marvel at that bond that ties our family core and ultimately ties our unit back to everyone. That bond, that love, infuses me with joy. Thank you for reminding me to focus on the love! You are such a teacher!!! Ari
Post a Comment