Thursday, June 18, 2009
The Most Amazing Day
(To watch this directly from YouTube, you can go here.)
Before June 17 is over, I wanted to post this footage from June 17, 2008.
I watched this a few times today, remembering the most amazing day, the most amazing birthday of my life, a year ago.
Remembering the incredible love and hope and light that surrounded Tikva on the day of her surgery,
And how smoothly everything went.
Remembering learning from Laurie that the Red Tail Hawk had flown by twice while I was in the pumping room.
Remembering seeing Tikva's eyes when she opened them for the first time after the surgery,
When she could finally be taken off the paralytic medication.
Remembering the three-hearts bandage that Tippy the surgeon cut for her scar.
That was the day I got my Miss Piggy socks.
I cried as I watched.
I smiled too.
I felt so much love for my most beautiful Baby Girl.
I felt some longing to be back there, to that day.
To the hope and positivity, the possibility and all that was ahead.
I felt sadness that Tikva is not coming with us in body when we leave San Francisco in a few weeks.
I sure would love to be strapping her into her carseat next to Dahlia when we hit the road.
I have no regrets, though.
I loved her completely, unconditionally.
I still love her, I always will.
I loved her without knowing the outcome,
With no illusion of permanence.
We did everything we could and then some for her
And I feel like I can leave here feeling the peace that comes from that.
I felt good today on my birthday.
I often feel kind of melancholy on my birthday,
But I think I got my freak-out out beforehand yesterday.
So today I was able to just feel good, clear, peaceful.
I felt super loved today, enjoying having no distractions from my birthday,
Nothing bigger to do like send my husband off to Cincinnati to move all of our belongings cross-country before we left for Israel (2007)
Or support my baby daughter while she had major, potentially life-saving surgery (2008).
Today, in 2009, it was just my birthday.
Thank you to everyone for showering me with so much love.
I took myself shopping and bought some brightly colored clothes today.
A 38 year old woman who's been through some serious and heavy sh*t (I'm sorry, but the word stuff just doesn't quite fit here) needs brightly colored clothes.
And my sweet husband took me for a picnic on the beach of a lake and we ate the most delicious food
And watched the tranquility and life of nature flow by...
Crows, turkey vultures, ducks, a mama deer and her baby, a snowy egret.
I love snowy egrets; they are so beautiful in flight.
When the sun set the gentle wind died down, the water got even more still and the quiet grew even more silent
And it reminded me of being in the Sinai in October 2007,
When I first suspected I was pregnant.
Nothing like that kind of quiet outdoors.
I could feel Tikva so close today.
She was there in all the animals that visited us.
She was there in the wind.
I think I am going to like 38.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Gal, I hope being 38 is much better than being 37 for you. Thinking of you and wishing you sunny days and lots of animals visits.
I could not get the link to work. It kept telling me it was private.
Love to you,
xx
Happy birthday Gal. Yay for brightly colored clothes.
This post is so full of grace and love. No regrets.
I feel certain that Tikva was there with you. In the animals. In the wind. xx
What a beautiful day. Hoping that 38 has many beautiful days filled wiht brightly colored clothes and quiet moments of snowy egrets. With much love. Abrazos y besos.
What a day of Love.
Gal I think 38 will be beautiful for you.
Wishing you so much love today.
I so would love to watch the video but I could not get it to work either.
I will keep and eye out x
Love to you,
Carly x
Happy belated.
I truly hope 38 is a peaceful moment in time for you.
Wishing you a more peaceful year this year.
Peace radiated from you Monday, Gal, and it was lovely to see you with Dahlia. Who is certainly a force to be reckoned with!
There is a healing element to time that we can't even fathom when we are in the depth of our pain. It's good to see you honor Tikva and still be able to live your life.
Whe my ex lost his daughter unexpectedly, who was only 21, he said that he believed his healing was easier because he felt that they were current and complete in their relationship. There was nothing left to say or do. Healing is different from feeling loss, of course. Loss is always with you.
Your acknowledgment of doing all you could and more for Tikva reminded me of that.
I remember that after her service, he never mentioned her again. After a long time, a couple years, I finally got up the courage to ask why he never mentioned her. His eyes filled with tears.
I got it. Life goes on. But loss stays.
We all handle it in our own way.
I see a transition in your writing... and I was glad to see you Monday.
Safe travels...in every sense of the word. Sending love...
oh, Gal. I bawled like crazy at the cruel beauty of it all. You are so beautiful, so is Tikva. Happy birthday with so much love.
Gal, thank you so much for sharing the video. I loved seeing Tikva's wide eyes, and your glow of deep joy and love. She's so, so beautiful. xo
Happy birthday. You are a June baby too, I knew we are kindred spirits. I love the way you write, Thank-you so much for sharing your journey.
Post a Comment