Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Baby Girl

I won't lie:
I miss my daughter.
I miss my child.
I miss my Tikva.
It hurts, especially at the end of the day when the house empties of the bustle of our sweet and loving community and the vulnerability of night returns.
I look at the photo of Tikva as she is breathing her last breaths, and the one of her after she has gone to sleep for the last time, and I think...
A baby isn't supposed to die.
A baby shouldn't have had to work so hard to live.
Tikva looks old and tired and wise, as if she has lived a whole lifetime.
Already the photos begin to replace in my mind's eye the images of Tikva that I saw every day as I went to her at the hospital.
Will I remember what she looked like years from now?
Or will I remember her essence, the feel of her that is indescribable but inside me now?
Will it hurt less tomorrow than it does today, even though today it feels like it hurts more than it did yesterday?

Today I spent a few hours reorganizing Dahlia's room, clearing the clutter and putting away her toys in new containers.
It felt good, soothing, distracting.
Yet there were moments when I realized that Tikva would never have a chance to play with these toys as I'd imagined she would.
When I realized that Dahlia would never get the chance to play with her little sister Tikva.
I always knew I would have two daughters, but I never imagined them not growing up together.

Yesterday I held a friend's 10 week old baby boy.
I was struck by how robust he looked and felt in my arms.
All these weeks I spent with Tikva, I did not see her as my sick child.
In my eyes, she was only my child, my daughter, my sweet baby girl.
But yesterday as I held this little guy, it struck me just how sick Tikva was.
Just how hard it is to be robust when you can't breathe, when you are supported by machines for breath and nourishment, when you are on so many different drugs, when you can't really move very much, when you don't spend most of your time being held.
The other night I watched the videos of Tikva which Dave took over the past month, videos taken when she was doing well.
For the first time, I was able to see something I hadn't seen before: She was working SO HARD to breathe.
She did remarkably well, unexpectedly well for a baby with a CDH as severe as hers.
She got all the way to breathing with a nasal canula for a time, but those breaths took so much out of her.
She used up all her energy and then she got pooped.
And then her fragility became really clear.

I miss you Baby Girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I learned from laboring a baby is to face the overwhelming physical pain with openness, to allow it to flow over me, to recognize that it has a greater purpose than the sensations I was feeling. I learned that being an open and honest channel for this unavoidable pain was so much better than tightening up or trying to fight it.

Over the last few weeks and days, I have learned, Gal, from watching you and Dave, and reading your blogs, how to deal with emotional pain. How not to fear it, or push it away, but rather to walk into it head on, eyes and heart open. How to breathe through it. How to see the greater purpose in it. How to learn from it, how even, to appreciate it, and thank it.

This is a phenomenal lesson. And it is bigger than a lesson on how to approach pain – its about how to approach life. This, among many other reasons, is why Tikva was so wise in choosing you to be her parents. And I thank you, Gal, Dave and Tikva, for allowing me to join you on this journey.

This is some of what Khalil Gibran, in The Prophet, has to say about Pain:
Our pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.
And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy

And also about Joy and Sorrow:
Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that hold your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

http://leb.net/~mira/works/prophet/prophet.html

Anonymous said...

PS I miss her too...