Saturday, August 30, 2008

Preserves

Just the other day, I received the most beautiful letter with a package of homemade preserves. It was from my friend Hilary, with whom I'd taken a midwifery class several summers ago. Hilary's own daughter, Stella, was born just two days after Tikva. The letter read...

"Dear Gal, David, and Dahlia,

On August 6, my mother arrived from Maine to meet her first grandchild and to help me preserve some of the organic fruits and vegetables that we have raised on our small family farm here in Humboldt county.

On August 7, as we made the apple butter, our baby Stella was uncharacteristically fussy. By evening, she was crying inconsolably but finally fell into a deep sleep around 9:45 pm. I think my Stella and your Tikva were connected all along.

On August 8, I read your blog - as I have done daily for months now - and saw Tikva's beautiful face, free of tubes and utterly at peace. I cried for your loss as we made the salty brine for the dill pickles and pickle relish that morning.

On August 9, I watched David's video journal and absorbed the magnificence of Tikva's final journey. That day, we made the blackberry jam and it seems to be the best I have ever made. As I stirred the rich, purple fruit, I cried tears of joy for the strength and beauty of your family.

Every time you choose to see hope and love, you are seeing the world through Tikva's big, beautiful eyes. Tikva is everywhere because hope and love are everywhere. Because you had the courage to share your family's story, those who have been lucky enough to bear witness to Tikva's life through your writing have that same chance to see the world through her eyes. All over the world, hope and love are getting another chance to thrive because of Tikva and your choice to give her a voice.

One tiny baby. One courageous family. A whole world of healing.

I know your big hearts will heal and your private Tikva will be close by you forever.

With love and respect,

Hilary, Ty and Stella"

Thank you, Hilary. With deep gratitude and mutual respect. The preserves, by the way, are delicious.

No comments: