Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Magnificent Day




This has truly and without a doubt been one of the most glorious days of my life.
And it is by far the best birthday I have ever had... ever.
I wanted only one thing for my birthday - a successful surgery for Tikva.
There are no sweeter words to hear from the mouth of a doctor than, "Her surgery was totally uneventful. Everything went really well."
I looked outside for the tenth time today and saw the clearest blue sky and sun shining bright on the bay and beyond, lighting up all the little houses of San Francisco.
How could it go any other way on such a magnificent and perfect day, especially the first such day after 4 days of dense fog and strong wind?
God has been smiling on Tikva and on us for the past 5 months, and She was indeed smiling on us today.
I received the only birthday gift I will ever need... ever.

Tikva is off the paralytic drug now, so she started moving around a little.
She moved her arm up and down and wiggled her toes.
The moment I will never forget today: When she opened her eyes and looked at me, toward the sound of my voice, and just stayed focused there for a minute.
My little girl is a week old and for the first time we were able to look at each other while I stroked the side of her head and face and my breasts responded by letting down milk.

She has a bandage over the scar on her left side where they opened her up to move everything back into place and repair her diaphragm with a Gore-Tex patch.
The bandage is shaped in three little hearts - cut especially so by Tippi, the head pediatric surgeon who did her surgery.
Yes, these are the kinds of people who were holding her today, and who have been holding her since I went into labor.
People with heart and soul, great skill and a desire to help that is exceptional.
How could it go any other way?

Tonight I looked at my little girl in wonder, and really acknowledged what an incredible miracle she is.
I saw her might in that little body, read her purpose in the energy within and surrounding her.
She has big work to do in this life, and she has already begun doing it.
I received a zillion text messages on my phone, outpourings of love and "Yay!" and lots of "I'm with Tikva!"
We celebrated with birthday cake in the family waiting room and shared the extras with the nurses.
And I kept looking out the window and I couldn't help but smile, feeling completely held by something so big and powerful.
Feeling how held Tikva has been and continues to be.

At one point during the surgery, I went into the pumping room with Laurie to pump my milk.
Sharon came in to tell me that a red tail hawk had just flown by the waiting room window on his way to fly by where Tikva was.
Tikva's power animal - a mighty force of nature, symbol of power and vision - visited her and us once again.
Of course... How could it go any other way?

Dahlia came for birthday cake and to see her little sister, and today she was dressed all in white and looked so beautiful and grown up to me.
So capable of being the big sister, stepping up in her life in her own way.
She is so ready to play with her sister, I can just feel it in her when she visits the ICN.

It's 10:15pm and I am sitting on the glider where I sit to pump my milk, in the quiet of our bedroom.
In a few hours it'll be the 18th, and this birthday will become one of my greatest and most important memories.
Today I promised Tikva that I would tell her the story of this day every June 17th for the rest of my life.
At least until the first time she rolls her eyes and says, "Oh no, Mom, you're not going to tell that story again, are you?"

Happy day, Sweet Baby Girl.
Thank you for the amazing gift you have given me today.
Thank you for your hard work, for the way in which you embrace life, for your fearlessness and might.
Thank you for your trust in Source and the incredible part you play in its unfolding and blossoming.
Thank you for being my teacher.
Thank you for being my girl.

7 comments:

Kim Carlson Art said...

Thank you for being her mother---I'm crying over here in Japan after reading this- YOU ARE AN AMAZING WRITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sara Bucciarelli said...

YEAH!!!!! Baci, baci, baci to the little one, to her big sister and their wonderful parents!!!!
Much much love,
Sara, Andrea, Dov, Silvia & Marta(my mum and cousin here in Jerusalem)

Cynthia said...

She will never tire of the story because it is her birth story. Kids love to hear how they made their way into the world. Yesterday, I spent the day at the Met looking at the most amazing art I had ever seen. I would walk into a room, see a Monet, think "Tikva, Tikva, Tikva", stare at its beauty and then move onto my next prayer site. I spent hours like that always with Tikva on my heart, always trying to not cry because of the amazing beauty in this world.

Miboni said...

She's so cute! The Gluck/Tran family is very relieved and happy for such great news. So now, let's start getting some things ready for Tikva, we have some adorable baby clothes for her, from little Aesha - whom you haven't met yet, but hoping you will. Let me know when YOU are ready to have visitors. I know it will be awhile longer for little Tikva. Aesha will be so excited to meet her, she loves babies.

Unknown said...

We are so happy for you guys...tears are rolling down our cheeks as we are reading this! Your family has been a light to us and has been so brave. Keep that love going, and never forget how precious each of you are! We love you guys VERY much!

Stephanie said...

Wow! What a blessing you all are. I am overjoyed to hear how well things are going in the little one's life and in yours. My lovintg thoughts are with you all constantly and I can't wait to meet the little dark haired girl someday soon.

I'M WITH TIKVA!!!

Love,
Steph

RudiJH said...

What a gift to witness how beautifully Tikva's new life is unfolding, the abundance of miracles in her life and the many blessings. Gal, David, Dahlia and so many of us have held such a sweet space for her and in our hearts and the prayers and love is so powerful. What an inspiration!

Love,
Rudi