Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Little Prince

I started reading The Little Prince to Tikva when she was first born.
I would read her a little every day.
Sometimes while she was on the paralytic.
Sometimes while she was asleep.
Sometimes while she was awake.

When she started doing well,
and I got busy with the joys of holding her
and sitting and gazing into her sweet face,
I stopped reading the story.
When she started doing worse again,
the story all of a sudden just felt too sad to read.
I never finished it.

Today one of the fellow personal trainers who works with Dave gave us the most beautiful card.
It is a passage from The Little Prince that reads:

"In one of the stars I shall be living.
In one of them I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night."

Maybe because I knew Tikva's fragility - even when she was doing well - the story of The Little Prince always made me a little sad, even when I was reading it to her.
Curious choice of books to read to your new baby...
It is a beautiful passage, though, and I do see my Baby Girl in the stars at night.

I spotted the Red Tail Hawk again today.
Sitting on the tall curve of a streetlight on Sunset Avenue.
Back to me, facing in the direction I was driving.
Regal, calm, red tail evident only as I got closer,
even though I knew before seeing the tail that it must be a Red Tail Hawk.
There's Tikva too...

4 comments:

Elizheva said...

I have always loved The Little Prince. I remember appreciating his fresh, unique vision-- where others saw in his drawing a man's hat, the Price knew it was a snake who had swallowed an elephant; he could see beyond the surface, into the insides.

It strikes me that much of Tikvah's life was lived on the inside of her mommy's womb. And when she was born, she drew the vision of others to see her possibilities, to see the expanded, full lungs in her little body. She draws us now to an imagination of where her spirit might be-- in forest or stars.
Thank you, Tikva Ahavah, for expanded visions.

Blessings, Elizheva

sweetsalty kate said...

You know, I've never read The Little Prince, but now I'll have to. I see mine in the stars, too, and it always fills me up.

The photo of Tikva is so beautiful. Look at those eyes.
xo

janis said...

I've always LOVED the Little Prince. Tikva is so blessed to have you read to her.
Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

have you read the beautiful section surrounding that quote yet?

"All men have the stars," he answered, "but they are not the same things for different people. For some, who are travelers, the stars are guides. For others they are no more than little lights in the sky. For others, who are scholars, they are problems. For my businessman they were wealth. But all these stars are silent. You-- you alone-- will have the stars as no one else has them--"

"What are you trying to say?"

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night... you-- only you-- will have stars that can laugh!"

And he laughed again.

"And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be content that you have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And you will sometimes open your window, so, for that pleasure... and your friends w ill be properly astonished to see you laughing as you look up at the sky! Then you will say to them, 'Yes, the stars always make me laugh!' And they will think you are crazy. It will be a very shabby trick that I shall have played on you..."


[this was read during the funeral of a close friend of mine who died back when we were teenagers, and i remember it comforting me. it still does, in fact.

i just discovered your blog a few days ago, gal. it is a great honour to read about tikva.

much love,
nina]